The following provides a brief summary of the recent Council meeting on July 21. The complete Council package, which includes the agenda and reports, can be accessed online. Full minutes of the July Council meeting will be available in the August 2016 Council package.
This summary is provided to increase transparency, and to support Councillors in completing their obligations under Bylaw 2.3.5; “shall regularly communicate with his or her constituents concerning the activities, programs, and decisions of the Society”.
If you have any questions, please contact our office or the Speaker.
You may jump to the relevant section:
- Congratulations to Andi Ghosh on their acclimation to a second term as Ombudsperson.
- Congratulations and thank you to Martin Levebvre for joining the Open Space and Landscape Group as a graduate student representative.
- SOGS is marching with Western in the Pride Parade this upcoming Sunday, July 24.
- SOGS and Campus Rec are currently running a survey to assess how grad students use. or don’t use, the facilities on campus. Participants are eligible for a draw for a $100 grad Club gift certificate.
- The updated Thriving in Graduate Students website is in development, and a draft is already available online. It features a wealth of information and resources. Feedback is welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The PhD Comics Movies and their creator, Jorge Cham, will be coming to Western this fall! Dates are still to be decided; admission will be free.
Upcoming dates of importance
- The CFS-O Annual General Meeting will take place August 18-21.
- Summer childcare and travel subsidy applications are due August 31
Reminder: Motions generally include several clauses providing the background or justification of a motion followed by one or several resolutions. The resolutions are the specific actions being proposed. For brevity, resolutions use the initialisms BIRT (be it resolved that) and BIFRT (be it further resolved that).
Motions arising from Individuals
Motion 1 (M. Lefebvre; Geography)
Whereas requiring a majority vote to require a roll call vote is inimical to its use -forcing majority voters to be accountable for their vote,
BIRT SOGS standing rules be changed to require a 1/3 vote for a roll call vote.
Motion 3 (President)
POSTPONED INDEFINITELY (to allow for further consultation & research)
BIRT the SOGS procurement policy be amended withthe changes noted in Appendix A
BIFRT the deputy speaker number the policy as appropriate before it is amended in the policy manual.