The following provides a brief summary of the recent Council meeting on January 26. The complete Council package, which includes the agenda and reports, can be accessed online. Full minutes of the March Council meeting will be available in the January 2017 Council package.
This summary is provided to increase transparency, and to support Councillors in completing their obligations under Bylaw 2.3.5; “shall regularly communicate with his or her constituents concerning the activities, programs, and decisions of the Society”.
If you have any questions, please contact our office or the Speaker.
You may jump to the relevant section:
- Western Research Forum is seeking volunteers for the day of the forum (March 10).
- Many thanks to our Finance Manager, VP Finance, and Finance and Grad Club Committees for their work on preparing the 2017-2018 budget.
- If you have any graduate issues you’d like brought forward at the upcoming CFS National Graduate Caucus, please email email@example.com
- The SGPS Thriving in Grad School website has been updated (and is still in development).
Upcoming dates of importance
- January 31: Bursary and subsidy applications due
- February 6-24: Nominations open for SOGS President
- Nomination forms will be available from the SOGS Office (UCC 260)
- Uncontested candidates will be acclaimed
- Elections are based on a first-past-the-post model
- February 13: Pride Commissioner meet and greet; specific details to be distributed shortly
- February 16: Annual General Meeting, 5:30pm, location TBD
- March 3: February Council (delayed by previous vote in Council to avoid conflict with Reading Week)
- March 10: Western Research Forum
Reminder: Motions generally include several clauses providing the background or justification of a motion followed by one or several resolutions. The resolutions are the specific actions being proposed. For brevity, resolutions use the initialisms BIRT (be it resolved that) and BIFRT (be it further resolved that).
Motions arising from the President/Executive
AMENDED AS BELOW; PASSED
BIRT the AGM be scheduled for Feb 16, 2017 at 5:30pm.
BIRT Council approve the SOGS and Grad Club 2017-2018 budgets.
Motions arising from Other Committees
BIRT commissioners, Deputy Speaker, CRO, and DCRO be exempted from the conflict of interest bylaw prohibiting officers from taking part in SOGS bursaries, grants, and awards.
BIRT SOGS suspend plans to move into MC312, MC312A, MC338, and MC340 until an equivalent replacement space has been clearly provided to the computer science graduate students.