Although the Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) formed in 1947, graduate students did not have their own student government until the 1960s. Initially housed under the University Students’ Council (USC), the “Council of Graduate Students” drafted and submitted its Constitution to the University Board of Governors in 1963. In 1964, the Society of Graduate Students (SOGS) was born. In 1968, SOGS received the Grad Club (then “Grad Centre”) liquor licence to ensure that graduate students had a graduate-specific space on campus.
SOGS advocates on behalf of graduate students and works to enhance their academic and overall student experience at Western University.
Read more about our advocacy initiatives here:
- Canadian Federation of Students (CFS)
- SOGS Commissioners (Accessibility, Indigenous, Pride, and Women’s Concerns)
- Graduate Peer Support (GPS)
- Graduate Student Surveys
- International Graduate Students
- Not All the Same Campaign (Equity Committee)
- Pride Parade: Western & London
- Support Services & Resources (Equity Committee)