April 25, 2019
Announcements and upcoming events:
- This meeting’s quorum is 24.
- The next Council meeting will be on May 30 in NCB 117.
- Speaker’s Corner @ 4-5 pm prior to Council meetings (last Thursday of every month except December.)
- SOGS offers the Wellness Joint Fund for departments to help support wellness events for graduate students on and off campus. sogs.ca/wellness-joint-fund
- The GPS committee drop-in peer support program continues on Tuesdays from 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm in Middlesex College Room 17.
- Dissertation drop-in: Fridays from 10 am – 3:45 pm. Bring your lunch, coffee and snacks, and write in a stress-free space all day in the SOGS multi-purpose room.
- The Graduate Student Teaching Awards nominations survey is live until May 10. Nominate graduate student teaching assistants for their teaching excellence.
New representatives were elected to the Graduate Education Council, the Parking Appeals Committee, and a wide variety of SOGS committees.
Elections were held for the four SOGS Vice-Presidential positions, and the results are as follows:
Joyla Furlano was elected VP Academic.
Wesam AbdElhamid Mohammed was elected for a second term as VP Advocacy.
Madison Bettle was elected as VP Finance.
Jeremy Johnston acclaimed for a second term as VP Student Services.
Good job to all the candidates who ran in this very exciting election, congratulations to the new Executive, and thank you to the outgoing Executive for their service to the Society.
Thesis Completion Scholarship: A motion was passed to carry forward unused funds from the Thesis Completion Scholarship toward issuing awards in Fall 2019.
Freedom of Expression Event: A motion was passed to carry forward some unused funds toward a Freedom of Expression Panel happening this summer.
Committee Chair Honoraria: Council voted to approve awarding honoraria to our valued Committee Chairs and Co-Chairs from the 2018–19 year. Thank you to all the Committee Chairs for the work you’ve done for the Society.