August 2019 General Meeting/Council Summary
Read the full August General Meeting / Council package, see here.
The next Council meeting will take place September 26th in MC 110.
Speaker’s Corner: 4-5pm (prior to Council meetings, last Thursday of the month) @ the Grad Club. For all Council related matters, contact email@example.com.
- SOGS Fall Orientation for Graduate Students. All events are or start at the Grad Club. Some events require tickets, which can be purchased in MC room 8.
MONDAY, Sept. 9
- Family BBQ *Kids eat free*. Tickets $5 at SOGS office. Bring your own white fabrics to tie-dye.
- Bring Your Own Crafts Night: 7pm.
TUESDAY, Sept. 10
- Drop in Breakfast: 8:30-11am Free coffee.
- International Graduate Student Issues Committee Meet & Greet: 3-5pm.
- Meet Your Commissioners event: 5-7pm. Ice cream. Prizes and trivia!
- Trivia Night. Prizes for winning teams. Get there early to grad a good seat.
WEDNESDAY, Sept. 11
- Welcome to Your Grad Club: 4-7pm. Appetizers and prizes.
- Board Game Night: 7-11pm.
THURSDAY, Sept. 12
- Amazing Race: 1:30-3:30pm. Starts at the Grad Club. Sign-up via the link on our Facebook event page. Huge prizes: $200, $150, $100 gift vouchers + free tickets to Bonfire Night for top 3 winning teams. All participants earn a $5 gift voucher for the Grad Club.
- Gradcast Trivia Night: 5-7pm. Meet the Gradcast committee! Gradcast is the official radio show of SOGS.
- Bonfire Night: 7pm, Corn on the cob, hot dogs + drink. Unlimited s’mores. Movie theatre popcorn. Screening of “Dodgeball” $5 tickets available at SOGS.
FRIDAY, Sept. 13
- Indigenous Graduate Student Breakfast: 9-10:30am. Free breakfast. Sign up via the link on our Facebook event page.
- Karaoke Night: 7pm-12am. Complimentary drink tickets (max 3 tickets) for singing (max 1 drink ticket per solo/group song) + pub grub appetizers.
Self-Care and Support
- SOGS Peer Advisor for Academic Matters: Ariana Potichnyj (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Graduate Peer Support (GPS): drop-in will resume in the fall (mid-September) – Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5-7pm room TBA.
- Dissertation drop-in: Fridays from 10am-3:45pm. Bring your lunch, coffee and snacks, and write in a stress-free space all day in the SOGS multi-purpose room.
SOGS Financial Support and Funds
- A number of motions were passed regarding amendments to the SOGS Constitution, Bylaws, and Policies. These amendments reflect changes in the SOGS membership structure affected by the Student Choice Initiative. These amendments include:
- changes to the membership requirements under section 1.5.1. of the Constitution;
- addition of a new category of membership for graduate students granted a Leave of Absence;
- new wording in Section 184.108.40.206. of the Constitution that directs to the Bylaws for determining departmental representation at Council;
- clarifications to the Duties of Commissioners (Bylaws 2.2.6.);
- minor wording changes within Chapters 3 and 4;
- added statement within the Bylaws regarding the Constitution and Bylaws superseding Committee Policy documents;
- minor wording changes to a number of Committee Policy documents;
- Changes to the Goblet of Knowledge procedures: SOGS members will receive one free drink from the Goblet as long as they submit a request with minimum notice of 2 business days; non-members may use the Goblet but will not receive a free drink.
- A motion was passed to use $1600 from the Orientation Handbook line item to purchase additional SOGS swag for orientation.
- A motion was passed to use a portion of the funds allocated to the Graduate Student Research Assistant position towards funding a Public Relations position.
- The 2019 year-end financial audited statements were approved.
- A motion was passed to change the title of the Racialized Commissioner to “Racial Equity and Inclusivity Commissioner.”