Recent Changes to International Student Work Permits 

 As a graduate student in Canada you are allowed to work for up to twenty (20) hours per week. For many students, these hours will be taken up by a Graduate Teaching Assistanceship (GTA) through your department. Contact your supervisor or departmental graduate secretary for information on GTAs.

As of June 1, 2014, study permits will automatically authorize the holder to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during the academic session and full-time during scheduled breaks without the need to apply for a separate work permit. The study permit holder must be pursuing academic, vocational or professional training of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate at a designated institution.

More information about the new regulations of international students can be found through Citizenship and Immigration Canada


Work on Campus: New SIN Procedures for International Students

 If you plan to work on-campus and need a Social Insurance Number (SIN): Starting Monday, September 8, 2014 there is a new application procedure to get a Social Insurance Number if you have a valid study permit, have an on-campus job offer, and are registered as a full-time student at Western. You may apply for a SIN in person at any Service Canada Centre with the following original documents (photocopies are not accepted):

  • Passport
  • A valid Study Permit
  • Confirmation of Employment on Campus
  • Proof of full-time enrollment at Western

The Confirmation of Employment on Campus and proof of full-time enrollment must contain certain information. Please visit the IESC website for more details.

University Community Centre
Room 260
The University of Western Ontario
London, ON  Canada N6A 3K7

p: (519) 661.3394 (or Ext. 83394)
f: (519) 661.3374

Summer Office Hours:
Monday – Thursday: 9 AM – 4 PM.

Friday: 9 AM – noon.