SOGS Update, the official monthly electronic newsletter from SOGS, keeps you up to date on issues and events affecting graduate students at Western University.
- International Graduate students: Let’s Go to Niagara Falls! June 9, 9 am – 9 pm
- SOGS LGBTQIA+ Discussion Group @ SOGS Office, MC 8, June 13, 2 – 3 PM
- Yoga on UC Hill, June 12, 7 PM
- UniQ SupporT – LGBTQIA2S+ support for Graduate Students, until June 14, 9-11 AM.
- SOGS Board Game Night @ The Grad Club, Jun 20, 7 PM
- SOGS Goes to Grand Bend! June 23, 10 am – 6 pm
- Mindfulness for Graduate Students, until June 26, check event for specific times
- SOGS LGBTQIA+ Pride social event @ The Grad Club, June 27, 6:30 PM
- Thesis Writing Time @ SOGS Office, MC 8, every Friday 10 am – 3:45 pm – Need a space to write? Drop-in, no pre-registration necessary!
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: SOGS Speaker and SOGS VP Academic positions up for election
Members interested in running for SOGS Speaker or VP Academic have until the June Council package report deadline (June 19th) to nominate themselves. Candidates running for VP Academic should send their nomination to the Speaker (email@example.com) and candidates running for Speaker should send their nomination to the Executive (firstname.lastname@example.org). Candidate statements will be published in the June Council package. Elections will be held at June Council (Thursday, June 28, 2018).
From SOGS Accounting:
– SOGS awarded over $31,000 Winter term subsidies. Congratulations to all the winners!
- 125th Scholarship $6,000
- Child Care Subsidies $3.600
- Placement Subsidies $1,104
- Travel Subsidies $20,895.06
– Summer Subsidies deadline is August 31, 2018. Forms can be found in the SOGS office (MC 8) or online.
From SOGS Women’s Concerns Commissioner
- Upstander Training Opportunity: Interested in receiving Upstander sexual violence intervention training? We are offering a free opportunity for 20 Graduate Students in June.
- Parent Advocacy Group Meeting: Calling all graduate student parents! We’re starting a parent advocacy group to address issues facing graduate parents on campus.
Find out more at sogs.ca/wcc
From SOGS Pride Commissioner:
- Be sure to come out to the following LGBTQIA+ Graduate Student events on campus in June:
– LGBTQIA+ Discussion Group: Wednesday, June 13th from 2-3, SOGS Office, MC 8. The topic will be Heteronormativity & Cissexism. Donuts and coffee will be provided!
– LGBTQIA+ Social Event: Join us for our monthly social in the Grad Club from 6:30 pm onwards!
- London’s Pride Festival will be from July 19-29! We will be attending events throughout the week, if you are interested in joining us please email email@example.com and we will make sure you are on the mailing list. We are also looking for individuals interested in presenting their research on topics related to LGBTQIA+ community at the Pride Festival. If you are interested please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more at sogs.ca/pride
From SOGS Accessibility Commissioner, Martin Ross:
Commissioner Ross has been investigating SSD accommodations in graduate course syllabi and taken steps to ensure a section for SSD accommodations be implemented in the graduate course outline document.
Find out more at sogs.ca/accessiblity
- SOGS International Graduate Student Orientation: Volunteers needed! September 11
Call for SOGS committee members & volunteers:
- GradCast: Are you interested in presenting your research on the radio? That’s right, the radio! We want to HEAR from you!
- Sustainability Committee
- Graduate Student Issues Committee
- Graduate Student Teaching Assistant Award (GSTA) Committee
- Finance Committee
- Grad Club Committee
- Bursaries & Subsidies Committee
- Graduate Peer Support (GPS) Committee’
CAMPUS & COMMUNITY EVENTS
SOGS TRIVIA & CONTESTS
- SOGS trivia contest winners
- Ben Corrigan
- Christina Chung
- Aviva Blacher
- Trivia question for May:
- What mythical creature can be found sitting at the reception desk of the SOGS Administrative Assistant?
Email email@example.com for more information or to submit newsletter content.