March 28, 2019
- Full March Council Package (includes reports and agenda).
- The next council meeting will be on Thursday, April 26, 6:00pm, Middlesex College, room 110.
- Speaker’s Corner will happen before every council meeting, Thursdays at 4pm in the Grad Club.
- Vice-President positions (Academic, Advocacy, Finance, and Student Services) are up for election at April council. If you want to get involved at SOGS, more information here. To nominate your self for these positions, email firstname.lastname@example.org by April 16.
- Thesis Completion Fund applications due on April 12th. The application (please print one-sided only to help with distribution during adjudication) is due in paper form to SOGS office (MC, room 8).
- Congratulations to the 54 OSOTF and 18 OOP award recipients. The total bursaries awarded for the Winter 2019 term was $108,000, for a grand total of $324,000 for the 2018-19 fiscal year
- SOGS is hosting its annual KARAOKE NIGHT event on Friday, April 5 @ The Grad Club starting at 8 pm. Food and snacks provided. Free for all!
- The Winter GSTA survey is live! Nomination survey link is open from April 1 until May 10, 2019. If you know a teaching assistant who served up teaching excellence and/or went above and beyond this term, consider nominating them for a GSTA. Survey link here.
- SOGS offers the Wellness Joint Fund for departments to help support wellness events for graduate students on and off campus.
- SOGS members: Free tax filing through CFS. Use code “CFS1981“. More information here.
- The GPS committee drop-in peer support program continues on Tuesdays from 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm in room 17 in Middlesex College.
- Dissertation drop-in: Fridays from 10 am – 3:45 pm. Bring your lunch, coffee and snacks, and write in a stress-free space all day in the SOGS multi-purpose room.
Health Plan: A motion was passed authorizing the Health Plan Committee to pursue a 5-year contract with a health plan provider, in consultation with Council. The previous limit had been 3 years.
Council Attendance: A motion was introduced to change the formula for calculating departmental grants, which are based on Council attendance. The motion was tabled for further consultation.
Fridays for Future: Council passed a motion in support of the London, Ontario Fridays for Future strikes, part of the global movement for action on climate change started by Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg. SOGS will encourage members to attend the larger Canadian climate strike scheduled for May 3rd.