DISCLAIMER: The SOGS office only accepts hard copy subsidy applications. Because SOGS is a non-profit organization, we require original receipts. We cannot accept per-diems.
The Society of Graduate Students and the Grad Club offer a variety of programs designed to help students financially. SOGS also administers academic programs that promote graduate student research and recognize the contributions graduate students make as teachers. Membership fees and Grad Club profits fund these programs.
All subsidy applications are available online and in the SOGS office (UCC 260). Bursary applications are made available online only.
Learn more on this page:
- Application requirements
- SOGS Bursaries
- Emergency Loans
- Graduate Student Research and Scholarship Joint Fund
The following conditions must be met for applications to be considered:
- Applications MUST be hard copy. If you are not physically in London, you will need to mail your application to the SOGS Office.
- Applications must be complete and accurate. Please read the application forms carefully.
- All relevant original receipts must be attached (stapled) and in order. The order corresponds to the the second page of the application where students are asked to list expenses in specific categories.
- Submitted receipts must be the original receipts. If you have already submitted the originals to your dept./faculty for reimbursement, and that office has stamped and signed the photocopies as proof they are in possession of the original receipts.
- The provided income information must be more than $0. We need to know how much money you are living on for the term, regardless if it is in the form of a loan, line of credit, parental/spousal support, and/or school/government funding, etc.
- Applications must be printed out and provided in person. All applications should be hand-delivered or mailed to the SOGS Office (UCC 260).
- Applications must be provided by the last business day of of each term.
If you have extenuating circumstances and cannot comply with these submission rules, please contact email@example.com for more information.
SOGS Bursaries are awarded three times annually to full-time members of the Society of Graduate Students (Masters or Doctoral) who have demonstrated financial need. The Society of Graduate Students bursary program two bursary types: the SOGS Ontario Student Opportunity Trust Fund (OSOTF) Bursary and the Out of Province/Country (OOP) Bursary and Grad Club (GC) Bursary:
- The OSOTF Bursary is valued at $1500 each. These bursaries are awarded to students from Ontario with demonstrated financial need.
- The OOP Bursary is valued at $1500 each. These bursaries are awarded to students from outside Ontario with demonstrated financial need.
Applications are completed on-line through the SGPS Graduate Student Portal. Deadline dates are: September 30, January 31, and May 31.
The Society administers a financial service aimed at providing emergency loans of up to $1,000. Loans are secured through post-dated repayment cheques. Students with more complicated financial needs should seek appropriate support from outside the Society. Please download the application from our Documents page.
Child Care Subsidy
SOGS provides limited subsidies of $400 per term to offset the cost of child care services. The confidentiality of all applications is assured, and the general statistical information that is collected is used in our ongoing lobbying of the University for improved childcare assistance and facilities.
Applications must be completed and returned by the last business day of each term.
Please download the application from our Documents page.
Professional Placement and Experiential Learning Subsidy
This subsidy offers financial assistance for travel and accommodations of SOGS members undertaking professional placements, practicums, co-ops, or other experiential learning opportunities. Each award amounts up to a maximum of $500 based on demonstrated need. Students who are enrolled in Category II programs (i.e., non-funded professional masters) will be given first priority.
Applications must be submitted within the term when the placement or experiential learning activity ends. Deadlines are the last business day of each term in April, August and the last day of operation before the Christmas break. However, members have until the April, 2017 deadline to submit applications for placements that ended at any point between May 1, 2015 and April 30, 2017.
Please download the application form with full details from our Documents page.
Travel Subsidies are awarded to a maximum of $500 based on demonstrated financial need. The information collected through this form is used by SOGS for internal statistical purposes. Confidentiality of all information will be maintained.
Completed applications must be submitted within the term of the conference. Deadlines are the last business day of each term in April, August and the last day of operation before the Christmas break.
Please download the application from our Documents page.
Graduate Student Research and Scholarship Joint Fund
The Joint Fund for Graduate Research, also known as the Joint Fund for Support of Graduate Student Research and Scholarship, was initiated to help support the creation of events (conferences, lectures) that bring external participants to share their research and interact with Western graduate students. Research Western, the Society of Graduate Students (SOGS), and the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) have formed a partnership, annually contributing to $6,000 apiece to a jointly administered fund, designed to aid these events. The maximum amount awarded to each successful application is $1,000.
Application form (MS Word Format)
Applications accepted throughout the year.
Submit application to the Society for Graduate Students (SOGS) at firstname.lastname@example.org at least one month prior to the event.