For the full October GM/Council package, see here.
The next Council meeting will take place on November 28 in MC 110.
Speaker’s Corner: 4-5 pm (prior to Council meetings, last Thursday of the month) @ the Grad Club. For all Council related matters, contact email@example.com.
- Family Halloween Party: Monday, Oct. 28 @5pm. Costume party for the little ones + pumpkin carving + costume contest and loot bags for kids + parents in costume get a free cocktail! Pizza party. $5 per SOGS member and $10 for non-members, kids are free. See our Facebook event for more details.
- Harry Potter Trivia: Wednesday, October 30 @7pm at the Grad Club. There will be a special Harry Potter-themed appetizer menu.
- Monthly Karaoke Night: Friday, November 15 at 7 pm
- Board Game Night: Wednesday, November 20 at 7 pm. We have over 60 board games, so there is something for everyone.
- Beers and Peers networking event: Wednesday, November 20 from 6-8 pm at the Grad Club.
2018-2019 HEALTH CLAIMS must be sent to the insurance company by November 30. If you mail them out at the SOGS office, you will need to bring them in by mid-November to ensure they are processed in time.
Self-Care and Support
- SOGS Peer Advisor for Academic Matters: Ariana Potichnyj (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Graduate Peer Support (GPS): Drop-In Sessions every Tuesday and Thursday from 5-7 pm in the Western Interdisciplinary Research Building, room 1110. (@Western.SOGS facebook.com/events/2290381097940907/)
- Dissertation drop-in: Fridays from 10 am – 3:45 pm. Bring your lunch, coffee and snacks, and write in a stress-free space all day in the SOGS multi-purpose room.
SOGS Financial Support and Funds
New Commissioners for the Council year:
Call for Nominations:
SOGS members in good standing wishing to nominate themselves to any of the following positions must send their nomination (and an optional 1-page election poster/platform) to the Speaker (email@example.com) no later than November 19 at 5:00 pm EST.
- SOGS Pride Commissioner
The Pride Commissioner advocates on behalf of the LGBTQIA+ SOGS members. In addition to representing the community’s interests at SOGS Council meetings, the Pride Commissioner helps connect students to resources, supports local LGBTQIA+ events, and seeks out ways to support LGBTQIA+ individuals.
- SOGS Chief Returning Officer
The role of SOGS Chief Returning Officer (CRO) is primarily to oversee elections and referenda. For more details please see the latest Constitution and Bylaws document, particularly sections 2.2.3, 2.4, 184.108.40.206, and 3.3. If you have questions about the position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Members for the Appeals Review Commission
The role of the Appeals Review Commission is to rule on appeals relating to presidential elections and referenda. For more details please see the latest Constitution and Bylaws document, particularly sections 2.4.2., 2.4.10, 3.2.7, 3.2.8, and 3.3.1. If you have questions about the position, please contact email@example.com.
- A motion was passed to revise Bylaw 220.127.116.11. to read: “Written minutes must be recorded by an office staff member or Executive member in attendance at the meeting. The minutes shall be presented at the next Council meeting.”
- A motion was passed approving a letter in support of Western Librarians and Archivists to be sent on behalf of SOGS in by the Executive Committee to Western’s President, Provost, and Chair of the Board of Governors.
- A motion was passed to revise bylaw 18.104.22.168 to adjust Commissioner reporting times in the Fall term to support and align reasonable expectations of newly elected incumbents. (Commissioners are elected in October.)
- A motion was passed to ratify the updated Grad Club Policy document. The policy was updated include language for Non-Disclosure and Code of Ethics documents.
- A motion submitted from the floor was passed to extend the Freedom of Expression ad-hoc committee term to September 2020.