A major part of SOGS’ mandate is advocacy work, with a particular focus on collective advocacy to improve conditions for SOGS’ diverse membership. Our Committees are the grassroots foundation of SOGS’ advocacy work. Any graduate student member of SOGS is eligible to join a committee.
What kind of work do our committees do? They oversee the operations of the Grad Club; they manage the Society’s finances and health plan; they coordinate the Graduate Student Teaching Awards, the Western Research Forum, and the Western Journal of Graduate Research; they help international graduate students; they develop the Society’s Policy Manual, Bylaws, and Constitution; and they work on issues pertinent to graduate students.
Although it may look like a lot, serving on a SOGS committee usually takes very little time. To express appreciation for the work of our committees, SOGS gives every SOGS committee member a $5.00 voucher for the Grad Club for every meeting attended.
The following standing committees are presently active:
Portfolio of the President
- The Policy Committee
Chair: Andi Ghosh | firstname.lastname@example.org
- An ad hoc task force to advocate for changes in graduate student funding models.
Portfolio of the VP Academic
- The Academic Committee.
- The Graduate Student Teaching Awards Committee.
Chair: Katee Van Campen | email@example.com
- Western Graduate Review Editorial Board (GradCast)
Chair: Alexander Moszczynski
Portfolio of the VP External Affairs & Communications
- The Equity Committee (EC) deals with issues of human rights, discrimination, and accessibility.
Co-chair: Taniya Nagpal | firstname.lastname@example.org
Co-chair: Melanie Stone | email@example.com
- The Graduate Student Issues Committee (GSIC) is concerned with general advocacy, issues, and campaigns.
Chair: Alex Yan | firstname.lastname@example.org
Portfolio of VP Finance
- Bursaries and Subsidies Committee
Chair: Eric Diehl | email@example.com
- Finance Committee
Chair: Alexandre Scott | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grad Club Committee
Chair: Stephanie Dorman | email@example.com
- The Sustainability Committee (SC) handles matters pertaining to environmental protection.
Chair: Joanna Konopka | firstname.lastname@example.org
Portfolio of the VP Student Services
- The Health Plan Committee.
- The International Graduate Students’ Issues Committee (IGSIC) deals with concerns particular to international graduate students.
Chair: Isioma Elueze
- The Orientation and Socials Committee.
Chair: Valerie Orr
Reporting to the Speaker/CRO
- The Bylaws and Constitution Committee.
Chair: Martin Lefebvre
- The Appeals Review Commission.