SOGS recognizes that food insecurity is an increasing challenge faced by graduate students at Western. As part of SOGS’ commitment to health and wellness initiatives on campus, the SOGS food bank program for non-TA members aims to reduce the impact financial shortfalls have on a student’s ability to access healthful and nutritious food options for themselves and their families.
ABOUT the SOGS Food bank for Non-TAs
The SOGS food bank provides grocery store gift cards of $100 per applicant that can be used at Loblaws-owned grocery stores (Loblaws, No Fills, Real Canadian Superstore, Shopper’s Drugmart). We believe this approach respects the autonomy of our members to make informed choices about their nutritional well-being and provides members with greater access to grocery items that best support their circumstances and/or any dietary needs that a regular food bank may not be able to provide assistance for.
Please note the following considerations and limitations when applying to the SOGS Food Bank program:
- The SOGS Food Bank for Non-TA Members provides assistance to members who are experiencing extreme financial difficulty which significantly affects their budget for food.
- The SOGS Food Bank Program has been developed to complement the Food Support and Resources Fund of PSAC Local 610 which is available to our TA members.
- This is a limited resource. It should not be used for chronic need. The Society may not be able to approve all applications. Due to limited funds, SOGS members are eligible to this SOGS Food Bank program once per term to a maximum of 3 terms overall, but no more than 2 consecutive terms.
- Members experiencing financial difficulty should also consider applying for a SOGS Emergency Loan.
- SOGS Food Bank provides members with President’s Choice gift cards are valid at Loblaws Retailers. In the city of London, our gift cards can be redeemed at: The Real Canadian Superstores, Loblaws, Shoppers Drug Marts, Valu-marts, and No Frills. Other PC Retailers out-of-town include Fortinos, Zehrs.
How to apply to the Food Bank Program:
- Complete the digital Food Bank for Non-TA Members Application Form here.
- Submit this form to our Finance Manager electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will be contacted via email. Due to an abundance of applications, the adjudication process could take up to one month.
Please note: You may also be contacted with questions regarding your application if information is ambiguous or missing.
How to collect your food voucher after being approved:
If your application is approved, you’ll receive an email from the SOGS Finance Manager (email@example.com). You can then collect the gift cards from our office Monday through Thursday, 10 am to 4pm.