Health & Dental Coverage

All full-time graduate students at Western University who are members of the Society of Graduate Students (SOGS) and have paid their SOGS Health & Dental Plan fee are automatically covered by the SOGS Health & Dental Plan. If you are uncertain about whether you have been charged this fee, check your tuition bill.

Specific questions about your health and dental coverage? Contact Studentcare.
The 2018-2019 Studentcare Brochure can be found here.

International students: please contact Diana Ostia (, HR Coordinator, UHIP, if you require information about the University Health Insurance Plan: (519)-661-2111 Ext. 85536.

What would you like to know more about?

SOGS Health & Dental Plan Coverage

See the attached Studentcare Brochure on how to navigate your 2017-18 Plan! For a detailed breakdown, please visit This is also where you can opt-in a family member. Learn more about the recent change to OHIP and Drug Coverage here and use your Pay Direct card to fill your prescriptions at most Canadian pharmacies. To make the most of your plan, take advantage of Studentcare’s Network. Studentcare also offers a Rexall Exclusive Savings Card (10% off prescription drugs, and 20% off regularly price items).

Opt-Out of the SOGS Health Coverage

Click here for ONLINE OPT-OUT

  • If you are already covered under another insurance plan (e.g. your parents’), you may choose to opt-out. You must opt-out before September 30. You will receive your refund on your tuition fee bill.
  • If you are returning from a medical, compassionate, or parental leave of absence, you are a “new” student and can opt-in/out within the same month as your return.

New (incoming) students, depending on their enrolment date, must opt-out within the following deadlines:

    • If you are enrolled in September, you can opt-out from September 1 – 30.
    • If you are first enrolled in January, you can opt-out from January 1 – 31.
    • If you are first enrolled in May, you can opt-out from May 1 – 31.


If you are a full-time student who was automatically enrolled in and billed for the SOGS health plan, and want to opt-in family members (partner and/or children under 21 years of age or 25 if a student) you must do so with Studentcare directly here.

If you are a student belonging to the categories listed below, you must opt-in by submitting this form to the SOGS Office (MC, Room 8) and include payment ($ amount indicated on the form,  cost dependant on the term in which you are opting in as rates are pro-rated). Payment can be made by cash, cheque, or e-transfer to (please use your student number as the password).

  1. Full-time Students – Non-Residential (Education)
  2. Part-time Students
  3. Leave of Absence: must opt-in within the first month of the semester the leave begins.
  4. Postdoctoral Scholars: please see our Health Plan FAQ for Postdocs.

Note: Exchange and Visiting students at Western University are NOT eligible for the SOGS Health Plan.

How to Submit a Claim

Health & Dental coverage:

For your own reference, the Studentcare Group Number for your Health & Dental coverage is Q1109, and the insurer is Desjardin (carrier #12). The fastest way to submit a claim is through the mobile app, but you can also drop them off at the SOGS Office (Middlesex College, Room 8) or mail them to Desjardins (the insurance provider) yourself.

Your personal account number is your student card number. All claim forms can be found here.

For detailed information on how to submit a claim, see the Studentcare website.To register for Direct Deposit, see here. To check the status of your Claim, see here.

Travel coverage:

For Travel, the Group Number is 97180, and the insurer is Blue Cross. Your personal account number is your student card number.
If you use any of your travel benefits, you must call CanAssistance (Canada and United States: 1-866-601-2583 *toll-free*/ Other Countries: 0-204-775-2583 *collect*) immediately to find out how and when to submit your claims. See the Travel Health Passport and detailed explanation of coverage for more information.

PSAC 610 Extended Health Plan (EHP)

If you are a Teaching Assistant (TA) and a member in good standing with PSAC 610, you will be able to apply for the Extended Health Plan (EHP), which you can use to increase your overall health care coverage. We recommended that you apply for your SOGS coverage first, and then submit your claims to PSAC 610.

To prove that you have maxed out your SOGS coverage, visit Desjardins and log in to your account. Under, “I want to”, click on “Consult my transaction history”. Click on “Details” next to the transaction history you wish to print the proof of claim for. Print this document and submit it to PSAC 610.

Travel Letters for Visa Applications

If you are an international student travelling outside Canada, and require a letter from us confirming you have emergency medical travel insurance for a travel visa application, please email the Communications Administrator.

Please provide them with your: NAME as it appears on your passport, STUDENT NUMBER, and DATE OF BIRTH, as well as WHERE and WHEN you are travelling.

Please give the Communications Administrator 48-hours to complete this letter. A PDF letter will be emailed back to you once complete.