The Peer Advisor for Academic Matters is a free and confidential service offered through SOGS to help graduate students navigate any issues related to their academic success. The Peer Advisor position is occupied by a current Western University graduate student who has been hired by a selection panel composed of the SOGS Vice-President Academic, the SOGS Membership Services Manager, the outgoing Peer Advisor, and an additional SOGS Executive member.
The Peer Advisor is trained in university academic policies, procedures, and peer-support approaches through the safeTALK program, the Center for Teaching and Learning’s Leadership in Wellness program, Equity & Human Rights Services, as well as Student Experience’s Equity, Diversity, Inclusivity training modules.
The Peer Advisor is responsible for providing suggestions, resources, and support including but not limited to:
- Academic Appeals (course or examination marks)
- Scholastic Discipline and Appeals (cheating, plagiarism, falsified documentation)
- The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) Regulations such as:
- Program Admissions
- Registration Status (Withdrawal, Leave of Absence, Full-time/Part-time)
- Funding (institutional, provincial, international, Tri-council)
- Supervision and supervisory conflicts (role expectations and requirements, changing a supervisor)
- Program Milestones (comprehensive exam, thesis submission, thesis
- PSAC 610/Graduate Teaching Assistants(benefits, resources, Center for Teaching and Learning, GTA training)
- Research Roles (Graduate Fellowships/Graduate Student Assistantships payment, role outlines, tax deductions)
- Professional Development (writing support, workshops, Western Connect)
- Accessibility(Academic accommodations)
- Campus resources(financial aid, mental health services)
To get started, complete our intake survey here.
Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
2023-2024 Peer Advisor on Academic Matters
Kevin Moore | email@example.com
In order to protect your privacy, all advocacy work done for SOGS members will be kept confidential as per the SOGS confidentiality agreement.