The Society of Graduate Students (SOGS) is the graduate student union and advocacy organization at Western University. Dating back to the 1960’s, SOGS originally had 1500 members and a small executive team, which focused mainly on representing the social interests of its members.
Today, SOGS is a union that represents over 6,000 members and runs a student government to ensure that it is a democratic institution of the university. Additionally, SOGS works with sister unions and stakeholders on-campus and politicians off-campus to fight for student rights in Ontario and abroad. A local (#47) of the Canadian Federation of Students, SOGS works to keep the university and our governments accountable to students.
Over the decades SOGS and has expanded its operation to include:
- negotiating the graduate student health & dental plan and bus pass for all members;
- funding committees that engage student socially and culturally;
- creating new commissioner (Accessibility, Indigenous,Pride, Women’s Concerns) positions that advocate for all bodies on campus;
- creating, hosting, and adjudicating the Graduate Student Teaching Awards and the Western Research Forum;
- owning an on-campus bar and restaurant that employs nearly 20 staff members;
- organizing various orientation, wellness, and academic events to enrich graduate student life;
- offering tons of academic, financial, and social/cultural support to members; and,
- so much more…
Need some help, or something to eat? SOGS and the Grad Club are located on the ground floor of Middlesex College.
SOGS is YOUR graduate student voice on campus. Are you a member?