Council is the governing body or “House of Commons” of SOGS. It is comprised of departmental representatives, the Executive, and ex-officio members. Please contact the office if: you’re interested in becoming a Councillor, you are a Councillor needing to take a leave of absence, or if you are a Councillor who wishes to resign. Read on to find out more about attending and joining Council.
- May 2018 Council Package (uploaded May 24, 2018) (new packages posted every 3rd Thursday of the month, except for December. See here for the archive of council and AGM packages.
- Councillor Nomination Form
- Councillor Alternate Form
- Alternate form for Vacant Councillor (empty) seat
- Constitution & Bylaws
- Council is generally held the last Thursday of each month (except December) at 6pm and runs, on average, for two hours (but can run longer if there are important issues to discuss).
- Council location information is maintained in our Events calendar and is announced a month in advance at the beginning of every Council.
- Councillors should arrive 10 minutes prior to Council in order to sign in and grab refreshments.
- Any full or associate member is given the right to speak at Council. Non-Council or non-Society members may be denied the right to speak as per the Speaker‘s judgment.
- At the end of each term, SOGS issues Departmental Grants ($3 per full-time equivalent student, pro-rated to departmental Councillor attendance) to each graduate department. The amount of the grant reflects how many meetings each department’s Councillors attend. How your department’s students use the grant money is entirely up to your department/association.
- The Council year begins with the October meeting. Please submit a Councillor Nomination Form to the SOGS office in October. Final date for receiving nomination forms is Thursday, October 18, 2018. The SOGS Councillor Orientation package can be found here.
- See the Councillor Seat chart below to determine if there are open seats in your department.
- Any member of SOGS can run for any position. See our elections table on our Governance page.
The allocation of Council seats for the 2017-2018 year is detailed below.