The Society of Graduate Students (SOGS) is the graduate student advocacy organization and government at Western University. Dating back to the 1960’s, SOGS originally had 1500 members and a small executive team, which focused mainly on representing the social interests of its members.
Today, SOGS is a graduate student union that represents over 6,000 members and runs a student government. Additionally, SOGS works with sister unions and stakeholders on-campus and politicians off-campus to fight for student rights in Ontario and abroad. A local (#47) of the Canadian Federation of Students, SOGS works to keep the university and our governments accountable to students.
Over the decades SOGS and has expanded its operation to include:
- Negotiating the graduate student health & dental plan and bus pass for all members;
- Funding committees that engage students socially and culturally;
- Creating new Commissioner (Accessibility, Indigenous, Pride, Racial Equity and Inclusivity, Women’s Concerns) positions that advocate for all bodies on campus;
- Hosting, and adjudicating the Western Research Forum;
- Owning the Grad Club, an on-campus bar and restaurant that employs nearly 20 staff members;
- Organizing various orientation, wellness, and academic events to enrich graduate student life;
- Offering academic, financial, and social/cultural support to members; and,
- so much more…
Need some help, or something to eat? SOGS and the Grad Club are located on the ground floor of Middlesex College.