SOGS is currently holding an election for the position of Speaker. Learn more below.
The position of Ombudsperson is up for election, which will will be held during the July SOGS Council Meeting (July 29th, 2021). SOGS members in good standing wishing to nominate themselves to this position must send their nomination to the Speaker (email@example.com) no later than July 29 at 4:00 pm EST.
Elected candidates are expected to serve from August 1, 2021 until July 31, 2022.
The Ombudsperson functions as an external investigator (Bylaw 2.18.4), addressing internal SOGS complaints and grievances. The Ombudsperson:
- is a Non-Executive Officer of the Society;
- is a vital part of SOGS, offering graduate students an opportunity to bring complaints forward for investigation, discussion, mediation, and resolution;
- is responsible for drafting a confidential report for each complaint, outlining the basis of the complaint, investigation process, findings, and possible resolutions,
- proposes updates to the SOGS Disciplinary code;
- holds an ex-officio seat on the Policy committee;
- receives a $500 stipend each term (Fall, Winter, Summer).
More details on the position of SOGS Ombudsperson is available in the SOGS Constitution & Bylaws (primarily under Bylaws 2.2.7.) The most current version can be downloaded at sogs.ca/documents.
If you have any questions about the role, please reach out to the SOGS Ombudsperson, Seth Kadish (firstname.lastname@example.org), or the SOGS Speaker, Liam Clifford (email@example.com), who will be more than happy to chat with you!
|Position||Month of election||Day of taking office|
|President||As established by the University Secretariat||May 1|
|VP Academic||April||May 1|
|VP Advocacy||April||May 1|
|VP Finance||April||May 1|
|VP Student Services||April||May 1|
|Chief Returning Officer||November||January 1|
|Appeals Review Commission||January||February 1|