SOGS recognizes that food insecurity is an increasing challenge faced by graduate students at Western. As part of SOGS’ commitment to health and wellness initiatives on campus, the SOGS food bank program for non-TA members aims to reduce the impact financial shortfalls have on a student’s ability to access healthful and nutritious food options for themselves and their families.
For additional information about food support services and resources, visit our support resources here.
ABOUT the SOGS Food bank for Non-TAs
The SOGS food bank provides grocery store gift cards of $75 per applicant (plus $25 for each dependant) that can be used at Loblaws and Metro brand grocery stores. We believe this approach respects the autonomy of our members to make informed choices about their nutritional well-being and provides members with greater access to grocery items that best support their circumstances and/or any dietary needs that a regular food bank may not be able to provide assistance for.
Please note the following considerations and limitations when applying to the SOGS Food Bank program:
- The SOGS Food Bank for Non-TA Members provides assistance to members who are experiencing extreme financial difficulty which significantly affects their budget for food.
- The SOGS Food Bank Program has been developed to complement the Food Support and Resources Fund of PSAC Local 610 which is available to our TA members.
- This is a limited resource. It should not be used for chronic need. The Society may not be able to approve all applications.
- Members experiencing financial difficulty should also consider applying for a SOGS Emergency Loan.
How to apply to the Food Bank Program:
- Complete the Food Bank for Non-TA Members Application Form here. This form can be downloaded or collected from the SOGS Office.
- Submit this form to our Accounting Manager. Forms may be submitted to the SOGS Office or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will be contacted via email to confirm if your application has been approved. Our goal is to contact applicants within two business days.
Please note: You may also be contacted with questions regarding your application if information is ambiguous or missing.
How to collect your food voucher after being approved:
NOTE: *** In light of COVID-19, SOGS is working to make this process as easy as possible via digital means. If your application is approved, the SOGS Accounting Manager will make arrangements with you on how best to get the grocery store voucher to you.
- Bring your student ID with you to the SOGS Office during business hours.
- Our staff will:
- check your student ID to confirm you collect the correct allotment of gift cards.
- ask you to identify if you have a preferred grocery store based on the gift cards we have available.