The Society administers a financial service aimed at providing emergency loans of up to $1,000. SOGS members in good standing may apply for an emergency loan. In an effort to help our members, the loan is interest-free. Loans are secured through post-dated repayment cheques.
Emergencies are wide-ranging, so we don’t judge; we just help.
How does the Emergency Loan Program work?
We loan you anywhere from $100 to $1000. You repay us within 30 days or three months, depending on how much money you take.
For example, if you take a loan for $100-$900, you must repay it within 30 days. If you take a loan for $1000, you can repay SOGS over three months, typically in equal payments.
How do you obtain the loan?
- Find our application HERE.
- Take it to your home department and have your Graduate Administrative Assistant/Graduate Program Co-ordinator or Department Chair sign off on the form.
- Email it to email@example.com or bring it to the SOGS office once the office re-opens. Once approved, SOGS can complete the loan within 3 business days.
- PROOF OF INTENT TO PAY: In order for us to release the emergency loan to members, we require (a) post-dated cheque(s) OR a PRE-AUTHORIZED DEBIT FORM from your bank. Note: For off-campus applications, a pre-authorized debit form is the best option.
- Once you receive email notification that your emergency loan cheque is approved, the SOGS Accounting Manager will make arrangements to send the money to you.
- Repayment: SOGS will cash your cheque(s)/ debit your account on or shortly after the date(s) listed on the cheque(s). If you cannot make one (or more of) your repayment date(s), please contact the SOGS Accounting Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) in advance of the date(s) written on your cheque(s) or Pre-Authorized Debit Form. Please be advised that NSF charges apply to bounced cheques.
Students with more complicated financial needs should seek appropriate support from outside the Society, such as through their department or the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Please download the application from our Documents page.