What would you like to know more about?
- “The Essentials”: Welcome to London Ontario and Western University
- GradMap: Map of Western University
- Orientation Schedule of Events
- Navigating Your First Year in Grad School: Important 2018-2019 Dates
- Thriving in Graduate School: Taking Care of Yourself
- Gearing Up for Graduate School: Professional Development and Student Services
- Department graduate student associations/councils
“The Essentials”: Welcome to London Ontario and Western University!
London: Your Home Away From Home
- Check out this Self-Guide to London, Ontario! Everything you need to know.
- As a Western student, you have access to various discounts in London (e.g. 10% off on Tuesdays at Loblaws, Valu-mart, Food Basics, Metro, etc). Keep an eye on the flyers, too! Be sure to familiarize yourself with all your Local Food options.
- London is typically cold in the Winter so take advantage of our discount with Columbia Sportswear offered three times a year. Don’t forget winter tires and a snow shovel!
- Take note of the London Hospitals, London Libraries, Garbage/Recycle schedule, London Hydro (Water/Electricity/Heat), and Internet provider options.
- It also does not hurt to make yourself aware of the Ontario Residential Tenancies Act.
Western University: The Basics
- Your WesternID provides you access to the Graduate Student Portal (SOGS bursaries), your Western 365 Email, Student Centre (tuition, scholarships, government funding, class schedule, grades, tax, transcripts, apply to graduate, change in degree status), and as OWL (course management system).
- Your WesternONE (Student card) also functions as your bus pass, your library card, and your Campus Recreation (Gym) Pass. You can also use it to pick up your Office and AV Keys (if applicable), your Parking pass (if applicable), your Campus and/or Rez Meal Plan card (if applicable), and your identification card for exams.
- See here for an extensive list of support and equity services available at Western.
Your Friendly Neighbourhood SOGS
- SOGS produces a Graduate Orientation Handbook. If you are a new student, you will receive a hard copy of it at SGPS’ Orientation, or via email in early September.
- Full-time students receive a SOGS bus pass (connected to your WesternONE card).
- Full-time students are automatically enrolled in the SOGS Health & Dental Plan.
- SOGS offers a Food Bank program to Non-TAs (PSAC 610 offers one for TAs).
- SOGS offers a FREE International Student Identity Card through CFS.
- SOGS provides an INTL Grad Student Guide to Western University.
Need help navigating your way around Western Campus? This map has been tailor-made just for you!
Click on image to open PDF version.
Orientation Schedule of Events
Important 2018-2019 Dates
Thriving in Graduate School: Taking Care of Yourself
SOGS and SGPS (School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies) have worked together to amalgamate all the relevant resources for graduate students in a single place: the Thriving in Graduate School hub.
Through your student fees and OHIP card (UHIP for international students, provincial equivalent for out-of-province students), you have access to Health Services (e.g. medical care, individual counselling, allergy injections and immunizations, birth control, STI testing, and drop-in crisis support in partnership with CMHA-Middlesex Crisis). Psychological Services offers individual and crisis counselling, including sexual violence, eating disorder, and LGBTQIA+ (gender and sexuality) support. You also have access to the Wellness Education Centre (WEC), Graduate Peer Support (GPS), and Graduate Wellness Week. See here to visualize all integral services to support your overall wellness in graduate school.
Gearing Up for Graduate School:
Professional Development and Student Services
In partnership with Western’s numerous Student Services, SGPS has launched its Graduate Professional Development Program: Own Your Future. Complementary to the program are the services that you can use to strengthen your academic and personal skills and enhance your overall graduate student experience.
Click the above image for a breakdown of the various services and links to the specific programming and support they offer, and see the below graphic for a general overview of Western’s Student Services:
Department Graduate Student Associations/Councils
SOGS is currently developing a complete list of all Graduate Student Associations/Councils. Details regarding these groups, including contact information, will be made available soon. If you are aware of your Graduate Association/Council, please contact your Graduate Administrative Assistant. In the meantime, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.