In the Fall 2022 Term, SOGS released a survey asking Master’s and PhD students to tell us more about their experiences regarding housing and food insecurity at WesternU
21% of 6,800 SOGS members responded to the survey. Respondents we from every faculty (11 faculties!) and affiliate college (Brescia, Huron, and Kings) at WesternU. The survey captured data from all types of grad students (international, domestic, and those with families).
- 45% of respondents classify themselves as “food insecure”.
- 55% of respondents cannot afford basic necessities like clothes and hygiene products.
- 57.3% of respondents pay more than $1,000 per month for a rental apartment in London, ON. Note: the average price of a 2-bedroom apartment in London is currently $1,600 plus utilities.
- 76% of respondents reported finding an apartment in London as a “challenge”.
- 37% of respondents reported the increase in food costs a challenge.
READ THE REPORT! To learn more about the data collected and analyzed from this survey, please read our FOOD AND HOUSING INSECURITY REPORT.